I am on a contract as a co-borrower/co-lessee, and the borrower/lessee recently passed away. What should I do?
The Peace of Mind Program offers options for Qualified Parties (see definition below) to keep or dispose of a financed or leased vehicle.
Options under the Peace of Mind Program are:
- Individuals on the contract may continue under the existing terms.
- Qualified Parties may choose to pay off the Retail Installment Contract or Lease Contract:
- Retail Installment Contract: Outstanding balance information may be found here
Account Manager | Official Site of Ford Credit or by calling 1-888-498-8801
- Lease Contract: Outstanding balance information may be obtained from your local Ford or Lincoln retailer
- Qualified Parties interested in assuming the contract may contact a client service representative at 1-888-498-8801for a transfer of equity or lease application.
- Qualified Parties may return the vehicle to a Ford or Lincoln retailer within 60 days of the client’s death. Ford Credit will not pursue any remaining obligation on the contract.
Qualified Parties are defined as:
- Any other individual on a contract. Commercial accounts do not qualify for Peace of Mind
- The deceased client’s estate representative
- The spouse or next of kin if the deceased client has no will or if the estate has elected not to go through probate
- Designated beneficiary/transferee listed on the death certificate or vehicle title
Contracts that qualify under the Peace of Mind Program
Retail or Lease contracts dated prior to January 1, 2016 do not qualify for the Peace of Mind Program. Please contact your client service representative for contracts dated before this date.
Please contact a client service representative at 1-888-498-8801. They will be able to determine if the account is a retail or lease contract and provide instructions to continue.
- Couldn’t find the answer to your question? Contact us for more information.