Lincoln Way™* Oil Life Service Reminder Feature Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Important: This is not a standard feature for all vehicles and the following pre-conditions must be met:
- You must have a vehicle added to Lincoln Way.
- Your vehicle must support the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor feature within the instrument cluster.
- You must be willing to share your vehicle's Connected Vehicle Data with Lincoln Motor Company.
Oil Life FAQs
What is the Oil Life Service Reminder feature?
The oil life service reminder feature is designed to provide vehicle owners a better understanding of when your vehicle will require an oil change. The Intelligent Oil Life Monitor calculates a percentage of oil life remaining (from 100% to 0%) and takes into account items such as engine temperatures, idling, towing and other driving habits.
For vehicles with a Lincoln Connect™ 4G modem, the oil life display and service reminders will include estimates with respect to time and distance. Oil Life Service Estimations are based on several factors, which can include driving habits and patterns that can change depending on miles driven over time. Your estimates then may or may not show a complete 12 months or 10,000 miles/16,000 kilometers. For instance, if your vehicle idles significantly, the intelligent oil life monitor may alert you to change the oil at 7 months/4,000 miles. After the oil change is confirmed, the estimates provided will be for 7 months/4,000 miles. Likewise, if your vehicle is driven more than 10,000 miles/16,000 kilometers within a shorter timeframe, the estimates will not reflect one year, but will reflect 10,000 miles/16,000 kilometers
What is the difference between Oil Life, Oil Life Service Reminders and Oil Life Service Reminder Estimates?
- Oil life (Intelligent Oil Life Monitor) - is the percentage (%) of oil life remaining.
- Oil Life Service Reminders - are the alerts/notifications to a user to service your vehicle.
- Oil Life Service Reminder Estimates - is the estimated due date/distance remaining until service is due.
Do all vehicles support the Oil Life Service Reminder?
Most vehicles that have engine oil in North America that are equipped and connected will support the oil life service reminder. Vehicles that do not support an Intelligent Oil Life Monitor within the instrument cluster will not have the oil life service reminder.
What are the Oil Life Service Reminder notification types?
The oil life service reminder consists of the following notifications:
- If an oil life service reminder estimate is available and the estimated due date is within 30 days, you will receive a 'Time to Plan' notification. The estimated due date and distance remaining will be displayed.
- Once your vehicle’s oil life remaining is at 5%, you will receive a notification to 'Change Engine Oil Soon'. This notification mirrors the messaging you receive in your vehicle. If the service reminder estimate is available, the estimated due date and distance remaining will be displayed.
- Once your vehicle’s oil life remaining is at 0%, you will receive a notification to 'Change Engine Oil Now'. As at the 5% level, this notification mirrors the messaging you receive in your vehicle. At this point, the estimated service date is set to the date the vehicle reached 0% and the distance remaining is set to 0 miles/kilometers.
- If an oil life service reminder estimate is available and the oil life remaining stays at 0% for 3 days or is driven more than 500 miles/800 kilometers, you will receive a notification for 'Past Due'.
Is there a driving distance requirement to receive oil life estimates?
In order to receive the estimated due date and distance remaining, your vehicle must have been driven for 150 trips for the driving pattern to be detected and the estimates to be considered valid. If the driving pattern is not predictable, the service estimates will not be displayed.
What must a new customer do to enable the Oil Life Service Reminders?
If you have Lincoln Connect enabled on your vehicle and mobile device, no additional setup is required. (It is recommended to update to the latest version of the Lincoln Way application).
In order to enable service reminder estimates, if your vehicle is new, determine whether your vehicle is equipped with Lincoln Connect 4G. This information can also be found on your vehicle’s original window sticker.
If your vehicle Window Sticker is no longer available, contact your selling dealer who can support you with answering your question.
Is there ever a time where the Oil Life Service Reminders or Estimates would not be available?
There are situations where your vehicle is not connected to Lincoln due to poor reception and therefore, the oil life service reminder would not appear or be delayed.
In addition, there are conditions where the service estimates may not be displayed. This would occur when your vehicle is brand new, your vehicle has not been driven for more than three days, or the driving pattern has varied significantly from previous vehicle usage. The service estimates will be provided when available.
How can the Oil Life Service Reminder be reset?
The Oil Life Service Reminder and estimate reset process is the same as resetting the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor within the vehicle. For vehicles that receive service reminder estimates, in most cases, your vehicle must be operated for one trip/drive cycle following the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor reset before the oil life remaining and the oil life service estimates reflects the reset. Please do not prematurely attempt to reset the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor if the Lincoln Way display is not updated. Consult your vehicle's owner guide for procedures on how to reset the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor.
How long will it take the Oil Life Reset to be represented within Lincoln Way?
If your vehicle is equipped with a 4G modem, it may require that your vehicle be operated for one trip/drive cycle that is more than one mile following the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor reset before the oil life service reminder and estimates reflect the reset. This may cause the oil life display in Lincoln Way to differ from the in-vehicle display for a short period. This is done to ensure that an actual oil life reset has been performed.
It is recommended for the Do-It-Yourself owners who prefer to change their own oil to ensure that the vehicle ignition is cycled off following the OIL LIFE reset and the vehicle is restarted. This will ensure that the Update Process in the Cloud is initiated. The Cloud should update the oil life within three vehicle trips.
*The Lincoln Way App, compatible with select smartphone platforms, is available through a free download. Message and data rates may apply.
**Lincoln Connect (optional on select vehicles), the Lincoln Way App, and Complimentary Connected Services are required for remote features (see Lincoln Way Terms for details). Connected Services and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. Connected services exclude Wi-Fi hotspot.