How do I install SYNC®* 3 updates with a flash drive?
- The update will take between 20-60 minutes to complete depending on your SYNC version.
- You may be unable to download the update on a public computer.
To get started:
- Have your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) available.
- Go to the Update your SYNC System page.
- Enter your VIN.
- Click on Check for updates to confirm the status of your SYNC software.
- Confirm if an update is available, and if so, click on the Flash Drive tile.
- Follow the step-by-step instructions on downloading the SYNC update, formatting the flash drive, and installing the update in your vehicle.
- You will need access to your vehicle and computer for this update.
- Your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the installation process.
- Make sure your vehicle is in a well-ventilated area as your vehicle must be running until the update is complete. Once the download process has begun, you may drive your vehicle.
- To update via Wi-Fi**, your vehicle must be connected to an external Wi-Fi network. You cannot use your vehicle's hotspot (if equipped) or your phone's mobile hotspot.
- For vehicles with keyless ignition, you need to temporarily disable the Automatic Engine Idle Shutdown (AEIS).
- If equipped, disable Auto Start-Stop on your vehicle before performing the update.
- While the update is loading, SYNC will not recognize your mobile phone or media device.
- After the SYNC update is complete, you may need to pair your phone again.
Other ways to update SYNC 3
- You can update via Wi-Fi. Note: Vehicle must be equipped with SYNC 3 with Navigation.
- You can also visit your Lincoln Retailer. Dealership fees may apply.
*Don’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones.
**Requires in-vehicle USB mobile broadband connection, PAN-supported mobile device, or proximity to an outside wireless hotspot. Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.®