How do I use SYNC AppLink with my iPhone?
Many of us want to be connected everywhere, all the time. SYNC® AppLink™ allows you to use your compatible iPhone® mobile apps while keeping your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel.12,53
Here’s how to use SYNC AppLink* with your iPhone* or other iOS device. 25
*SYNC AppLink works with iOS devices, such as iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, iOS 6.0 and later. Apple® users must connect their device via USB and have compatible app running in background.
- Open the app on your iPhone and have the app running in the foreground.
Note: Apple iOS devices (such as iPhone®, iPad® and iPod® touch) use multitasking to allow you to quickly switch between apps. Multitasking allows some apps to run, some to run in the background, and some to be suspended. When your iOS device is connected to SYNC, apps that are not running will not appear. See Accessing apps that are not running, below.
- Press the Voice button and say, “Mobile apps.”
SYNC will respond, “Mobile apps, please say a command.”
- Say the name of the App you wish to use.
Note: You may be prompted with messaging asking you to enable mobile apps. Select Yes to enable mobile apps.
Once you’ve accessed the app, you can use the steering wheel controls and voice commands to control it.
- You can also change apps by voice command.
Accessing apps on SYNC 3 when they’re not running
- Ensure your vehicle is running and your iOS device is plugged into one of the USB ports. Allow 10 seconds for the devices to begin communicating.
- Open the AppLink compatible app that you wish to control via SYNC.
- On the SYNC 3 touchscreen, press the Apps icon in the Feature bar and allow up to 10 seconds for SYNC to find the App.
- Select the App once it appears on the touchscreen.
- Repeat this process for each additional App you wish to access.
Access the desired app with voice commands.