How do I extract the SYNC®* update files to my flash drive using a PC?
Learn how to extract the updated SYNC files to a flash drive after downloading the SYNC update to your PC.
- If you have not yet downloaded the files, visit the Update your SYNC System with a Flash Drive page and follow the instructions.
Extracting SYNC update files
Step 1: Right-click on download file > go to Open With > select Windows Explorer to unzip the download file.
- If you are unable to use Windows Explorer to unzip the file, you may use a third-party extraction program to unzip and extract your files.
- Once you unzip the initial file, you will see the following folders:
SYNC 3 and SYNC with MyFord Touch®
Previous versions of SYNC
The files inside the SyncMyRide folder should not be unzipped.
Step 2: Select all of the items inside the unzipped folder.
Step 3: Drag and drop them onto your flash drive. Do not combine or delete any of the files.
Step 4: After the folder and file(s) have been successfully extracted to your flash drive, safely eject the flash drive from your computer.
You are now ready to transfer the extracted files to your vehicle. Insert the loaded flash drive into your vehicle. SYNC will automatically initiate the software update installation process. It may take up to five minutes to start. Once it starts, wait for the update files to completely install.
Reporting a Successful SYNC Installation
After you've installed the latest SYNC software update in your vehicle using a USB, be sure to report the successful installation. This will allow us to alert you to other important system updates in the future. You will need your computer for this step.
- Insert the flash drive you used for the update into your computer.
- Go to the SYNC software update page.
- Scroll down to Step Three: Confirm Update.
- Click on Browse for log file.
- Browse the flash drive you used to update your SYNC system.
- Select the XML log file in the "SYNCMyRide" folder. Example: sync_48474463_1A2B3C4D5E6F8G8H9.xml
- Your filename will differ because it will contain your Vehicle Identification Number.
Did you know?
Depending on the size of the update, you may need to restore your previous settings such as:
- Pairing your phone. Learn how to pair your phone.
- Resetting your radio presets.
- Resetting your navigation points of interest.
*Don’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones.