How do I install SYNC®* updates over Wi-Fi or with a USB**?
Instructions for installing SYNC updates by Wi-Fi or a USB drive, also known as a thumb or flash drive, are on the SYNC and Navigation Updates page.
Note: Instructions vary based on your SYNC generation.
Identifying Your Vehicle's SYNC Generation
Use the following resources to help identify your SYNC generation:
- The SYNC and Navigation Updates page allows you to enter your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and select Check for update or select Login and use your Lincoln credentials. Your current SYNC generation will appear on the right-hand side of the page.
- The SYNC Visual Reference Guide has example images of each generation of SYNC.
Update Methods by SYNC Generation
- SYNC 4 software updates are performed over Wi-Fi.
- SYNC 3 updates can be performed via Wi-Fi, with the exception of SYNC 3-equipped vehicles without a touchscreen or navigation.
- MyLincoln Touch® can only be updated with a USB drive.
Important: If you have SYNC with MyLincoln, SYNC Gen 1.1, SYNC with Voice-Activated Navigation, SYNC with "P" Navigation, or SYNC Gen 1, you are unable to update SYNC via Wi-Fi or USB and will have to take your vehicle to a Lincoln Retailer for updates.
Checking for and Installing SYNC Updates
- Visit the SYNC and Navigation Updates page.
- Enter your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), or sign in to your Lincoln account and select a vehicle from your garage.
- Choose Check for update.
Select the dropdown under SYNC Updates.
Note: If you have the latest SYNC software version, you will see a green checkmark and a message stating that an update is not available for your vehicle.
- Choose USB Drive or Wi-Fi as your preferred installation method and follow the instructions.
- Installing USB updates can take up to 45 minutes.
- Reference the article, USB requirements for a SYNC update, if needed.
- For Wi-Fi updates, the download time can vary from a few hours to multiple days depending on internet-related factors (Wi-Fi strength, internet speeds, time connected to Wi-Fi network, etc.).
- You cannot connect to the vehicle's Wi-Fi Hotspot (if equipped) to install Wi-Fi updates.
Confirming a USB Installed Update
If you installed the update using a USB, and want to confirm the update was completed, refer to step 4 on the SYNC website where you download your update:
- Ensure your USB is inserted into your computer and the drive for the USB is open.
- Select Browse for Log File on the website.
- Upload the .xml file from the USB drive. The file name will contain the VIN.
Note: If you do not see the file or receive an error similar to "invalid," contact your preferred Lincoln Retailer for assistance.
Is there a cost to download SYNC updates?
Can I upgrade from a previous SYNC system to a newer SYNC system?
What are software updates?
What are the USB requirements for a SYNC update?
How do I format my USB drive to exFAT or FAT32 for SYNC updates?
How do I contact a Lincoln Way Concierge?
*Don’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones.
**Requires in-vehicle USB mobile broadband connection, PAN-supported mobile device, or proximity to an outside wireless hotspot. Wi-Fi is a registered trademark of the Wi-Fi Alliance.