What are software updates* for my Lincoln?
Software updates help ensure your SYNC®** 4-equipped vehicle receives the latest software and feature updates. These improvements include:
- SYNC updates.
- Feature upgrades.
- Security enhancements.
- System fixes.
How do software updates work?
Software updates are downloaded and installed wirelessly.
- Most software updates are downloaded and installed seamlessly while you drive, as long as you have Automatic Updates set to ON.
- Some software updates require the vehicle to be parked with the ignition off during installation. Set a schedule so that you can receive these updates at a time and day that is convenient for you (e.g., overnight).
Note: The door locks will remain as they were (locked or unlocked) when the update starts. Personal belongings should be removed from your vehicle or secured.
- Software updates will be delivered directly to your vehicle using the vehicle modem (cellular connection), or you can connect to an external Wi-Fi network (e.g., home).
Note: For faster updates, connect your vehicle to an external Wi-Fi.
- Most non-drivable updates are completed within 45 minutes or less, while others may take longer. Look in the Lincoln Way®† App or in-vehicle for specific estimates before installation.
How do I set up software updates?
- Confirm with your SYNC screen that Automatic Updates are set to ON.
- Set a schedule for the time and days that are convenient for you to receive non-drivable updates (e.g., overnight or during work hours).
- Connect SYNC to a Wi-Fi network.
*Feature is available on select vehicles. Features may vary based on model year, trim, options, packages, and supply availability. Use the Build and Price tool to view feature availability on current models. If you have questions or need more information, reference your Owner’s Manual or contact your Lincoln Retailer. Driver-assist features are supplemental and do not replace the driver’s attention, judgment, and need to control the vehicle. See your Owner's Manual for details and limitations.
**Don’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones.
†The Lincoln Way App, compatible with select smartphone platforms, is available through a free download. Message and data rates may apply.