How do I use SYNC®* voice commands?
To get started, confirm which SYNC generation you have using the resources below, then select the appropriate drop-down menu.
Identify Your Vehicle's SYNC Generation
There are two resources to help you identify your vehicle's SYNC generation:
- The SYNC and Navigation Updates page allows you to enter your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or log in with your Lincoln credentials, and select Check for update. Your current SYNC generation will appear on the right-hand side of the page.
- The SYNC Visual Reference Guide has example images of each generation of SYNC Lincoln has offered.
Using SYNC Voice Commands
Example Voice Commands
These are commonly used voice commands for SYNC. For a comprehensive list, reference your vehicle's Owner's Manual.
Basic Voice Commands
- Go back
- List of commands
- Next page/previous page (scrolls through voice lists only)
Phone Voice Commands
- Phone list of commands
- Pair phone
- Call <name>
- Call <name> <on cell/at home/at work>
- Dial <number>
- Listen to message
Navigation Voice Commands (if equipped)
- Navigation list of commands
- Destination <home/work/favorites/previous destination>
- Find <an address/POI/intersection>
- Where am I?
- Show route
- Cancel route
- Voice guidance on/off
- Show <3D/North up/heading up>
- SiriusXM®** Traffic and Travel Link list of commands
- Show <traffic/weather map/5-day forecast/fuel prices>
Climate Voice Commands (if equipped)
- Climate list of commands
- Climate set temperature <# degrees>
Audio Voice Commands
- AM <530-1710>
- FM <87.9-107.9>
- Bluetooth audio
- Sirius <0-233>
- Sirius <channel name>
Mobile Voice Apps Commands
- List mobile apps
- Find new apps
- <App name>
- <App name> Help
To use voice commands with SYNC 4:
- Select Settings on your vehicle's SYNC screen.
- Press Voice Control.
- Tap Listen for Wake Word.
- A short press of the Push-to-Talk (PTT) button on the steering wheel can be used instead of the wake word.
- A long press of the PTT button will alert Android Auto™† or Apple CarPlay®†† if connected.
Setting the Wake Word
You can set the Wake Word instead of using the default. To do so:
- Select the vehicle drawer on the SYNC touchscreen.
- Press SETTINGS.
- Press Voice Assistant.
- Select the wake word.
Once the wake word is selected, you will be able to say: <Insert wake word> followed by a voice command.
Important: When Apple CarPlay or Android Auto is active, SYNC 3 Voice Recognition is disabled, and voice commands will be unavailable.
To use voice commands with SYNC 3:
- Press the Voice Control button on the steering wheel.
- Say a voice command.
SYNC with MyLincoln Touch
- Press the Voice button on your steering wheel. A message will appear in the bottom, left-hand corner of your SYNC screen that tells you your vehicle is "Listening" and ready for your voice command.
- You can press the Voice button and say "What can I say?"
- You can press the question mark icon on your SYNC screen for a list of suggested commands.
- You can press the Voice button and say "Help."
Note: For help with your phone, for instance, you can say "Phone Help."
- For a complete list of commands:
- Press Settings on your vehicle's SYNC screen.
- Tap Help.
- Select Voice Commands.
Note: When you see a "Success" or "Failure" message in the bottom, left-hand corner of your SYNC screen, the voice session is over, and you will have to press the Voice button again to start a new session.
Actual screens may vary. See your Owner’s Manual for information specific to your vehicle.
*Don’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones.
†Android Auto is a trademark of Google LLC.
††Apple CarPlay is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.