I received an Out of Space/Bad Installation File Error Message when updating SYNC®*. What do I do?
If you receive an Out of Space/Bad Installation File Error when trying to update your SYNC software, follow the troubleshooting tips below:
- Perform a master reset. Make sure to let the master reset finish.
Note: A SYNC Master Reset returns the system to its factory default settings. You will need to pair your phone again and restore any previously selected settings.
- Press Settings on your vehicle's SYNC screen.
- Tap General.
- Press the scroll bar or swipe vertically until you see Master Reset.
- Press Master Reset. A message confirming that all system settings will be erased and reset to factory defaults will appear.
- Press Continue.
- A Resetting to factory defaults message will appear, the system will turn off and the screen will go blank. It may take a few minutes for the system to reset and resume normal operation.
- Ensure that the Welcome animation appears after the reset is done.
- Perform a key cycle
- Turn the vehicle off.
- Open the driver’s door and lock the door.
- Close the driver’s door.
- Wait two minutes and ensure the radio display turns off completely.
- Restart the vehicle.
- Ensure that the Welcome animation appears.
- Wait for the Home screen to show.
- Insert the flash drive and start the update again. To download the SYNC update, visit help.lincoln.com and enter your VIN.
If the above steps do not resolve the issue, contact your Lincoln Dealer for assistance.
How do I extract the SYNC update files to my flash drive?
How do I report a successful SYNC update installation?
How do I format my flash drive to update SYNC?
*Don’t drive while distracted. Use voice-operated systems when possible; don’t use handheld devices while driving. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones.